Sunday, February 14, 2010

Somewhere between Mark Driscoll and John Shelby Spong

As many of you know, I'm currently in the process of completing my applications for seminary. This has included much personal reflection and self-analysis as I try to write essays about my "faith journey" and identity.

In all of this writing and thinking and reflection and discernment, I have realized two things.

1.) That "going to church" or "being a Christian" has been a large part of my identity for nearly all my life.

And more interestingly/importantly (as far as this blog entry is concerned anyway):

2.) That clarifying that I am A CERTAIN "TYPE" of Christian has almost always been essential to how I describe myself and my faith to others.

See, if I'm talking about myself with strangers (i.e. "with the entire world on the internet") I frequently feel compelled to use certain "buzz words" -- or "cultural flags" is maybe a better term -- to describe what "kind" of Christian I am. We all know these buzz words: "social justice oriented," "civic minded," "peace loving," "open and affirming," "non-judgmental," "environmentally conscious" et cetera. I have used these buzz words (as have many others people in the PCUSA YAV realm) because in the social group where I grew up, "conservative" is considered a dirty word. I want to define myself as a LIBERAL Christian. But without actually USING the word "liberal," because the greatest fantasy of most "liberals," myself included, is that OUR theological/political views transcend dualistic/divisive labels.

I could write more about how "the media" in our culture attempts to lead us into these dichotomies and perpetuates the notion that there are two camps in our country with irreconcilable differences, and that one position will ultimately be right and the other wrong, and the outcome will be of absolute importance. But I'll spare you.... whoops, too late.

Being immersed in the Christian culture of LA in general, and the YAV/Dwell community in particular, has challenged those ideas about my identity this year.

From what I can tell, many Christians in LA really have taken steps to get beyond the liberal vs. conservative debate, where many Christians in the rest of the country are stuck. In traditional terms, most of my Christian friends here in LA are more conservative theologically than my Christian friends in Georgia or Texas, but really, it's not that simple. That assertion is a very superficial assessment, and even if you DID somehow know they're theologically "conservative," you couldn't automatically assign an entire agenda of assumed political beliefs based on such a label.

I say that because I've noticed that people in LA use lots of what I perceive to be Christian buzzwords (as "cultural flags," if you will) in the same way I do -- but they use the OTHER buzzwords. They refer to their churches as "Bible believing." They reference what's happened "since they got saved." In regards to non-Christian friends, they want to "bring them to Christ." They refer to "the Lord" instead of "God," and they frequently employ capitalized masculine pronouns to describe her. (Sorry, couldn't resist!). And they also very often mention other simple things like "sin," "Satan" and "the Devil" that have never been given too much attention at the churches I've attended in my life.

HOWEVER, before you start thinking that I'm now exclusively hanging out with suntanned Southern Baptists, you should know that most of the Christians here seem passionate about helping the poor. I have seldom encountered people with judgmental, self-righteous, holier-than-thou attitudes (other than when I look in the mirror). And I have only on VERY rare occasions heard anyone "go off" on gay marriage or abortion, the top two theological wedge issues that most people associate with Christianity.

The problem with the rest of us is that many of us "liberal"/mainline Protestants have tailored the way we present ourselves so as not to be confused with the Religious Right. Just to be clear, I generally DO believe the combination of puritanical Christian social values with would-be-secular, neo-conservative political views (like American exceptionalism, social darwinism, pro-gun activism, laissez-faire economics, pro-militarism) has been hugely detrimental to our culture. It was very much necessary that some sort of "Religious Left" arise so that the Moral "Majority" didn't have a monopoly on representing "Christian values" in the public sphere. But the Moral Majority has really been dead for years. The worldview of the religious right, I believe, is "on its way out," evidenced perfectly by the strong denunciation made by prominent Christian figures of all stripes with regards to Pat Robertson's comments last month that the Haiti earthquake was God's punishment for the "pact with the devil" they made to gain independence from the French.

The Religious Right has lost touch with the US. It should then be no surprise that the Religious Left -- which no one actually claims, but lets face it, many of us are a part of it -- is also losing touch, because the Religious Left came into being largely in response to the damage done in the name of Christianity by the Religious Right. So let's pretend for a second: based on nothing, let's estimate that among the "Baby Boomers," for every 4 members of the "Religious Right," there is 1 member of the "Religious Left." If that's the case, I would say that among the "Millennials," I would guess the ratio is more like 1:1, with the vast majority of Christians not identifying with either.

However, among my generation (I'm a millennial, just to clarify for any real strangers out there), it is considered much, much more hip to be a member of the religious left than the religious right. This is why I am far less confident that the religious left will "die out" naturally. That worries me, because although theology and religion SHOULD be involved in politics, one's theological views should never be FOUNDED on political ones.

So anyway, over the past several months, I've been trying to be less combative when it comes to how I evaluate Christian figures, churches and theological positions. I'm trying not to define things in a liberal vs conservative manner, and I'm trying to keep an open mind when other people do it for me before I have a chance to form my own opinion. I invite you all to do the same.

I'll give you a chance to start right now! (so, umm, read the post above)

1 comment:

Meg said...

Not that I can recall the title specifically, but have you read a book or heard anything about a book called something like, "How Christians are killing Christianity"? It's basically about the big (basically) PR crisis the faith is facing in the US today. I haven't read it, but it looked like it could either be interesting or wholly offensive.